1. Use a self-tanner on your body. Jane Iredale’s Tantasia gives you an immediate bronze with just a touch of glow, and once it dries it won’t come off on your clothes. Its subtle shimmer is especially beautiful on legs and shoulders. Also, it has a lovely grapefruit fragrance for a few minutes, and then it has no odor at all! A great drugstore variety is Jergens Natural Glow. Use this every day and you’ll build up a great tan. Even if you’re fair, you can use the “Medium to Tan” tone to build up your color more efficiently. A “haute” variety is St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse. It will give you immediate color and needs to be applied only about twice a week for a consistent tan. All three give totally believable color.
2. If you use foundation, keep it sheer. Visible foundation looks dated and will accentuate any wrinkles or scars. Use a light dusting of mineral powder, a tinted moisturizer or a tinted primer to warm your natural color. One product we love is TiZO. Branded as a broad-spectrum, SPF 40 sunscreen (made with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, ergo the name), it has a tint that’s compatible with any skin color and it has that lovely primer quality of making the skin look soft-focused.
3. Use a powder, crème or gel bronzer around the perimeter of your forehead and over your cheeks, nose and the tip of your chin. In short, put the bronzer only where the sun would hit you if you were standing. If you use bronzer all over your face, you run the risk of looking flat and muddy. Again, keep things really sheer; you want the color without the look of spackle.
4. Pinch yourself. That’s the color your blush should be. Place a pop of it right over the apples of the cheeks for a little flush of color. This step will make the face look younger and sweeter.
5. If you’re over 30, don’t try to “create cheekbones” by shadowing in hollows under the cheeks. That will backfire and be aging. What you can do to great effect is take a little shimmer powder or crème and place it on the top of the cheekbones, and even down the center of the forehead and nose.
If you’d like some help, give us a call at 941.951.2220 and set up an appointment for a skin evaluation and a make up lesson. We want you to look like the very best version of yourself and we’re here to make it happen!
Oculofacial Plastic Surgeon, Sarasota, Florida
Subscribe to our newsletter